10/07/2015 by Allan Delsaut, DD. Sudbury Denture Specialist
4 REASONS WHY DENTAL IMPLANT SUPPORTED DENTURES ARE GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH
So much has changed in dental implant technology over the last 40 years – and so much for the better. With dental implant supported dentures, I can offer my patients an alternative to wearing dentures.
Implant supported dentures eliminate fears of denture instability. In fact, dental implant supported dentures have been described as being as close to having your real teeth, as you can get.
So much has changed in dental implant technology over the last 40 years – and so much the better. With dental implant supported dentures, I can offer my patients a real alternative to wearing dentures.
Implant supported dentures provide the utmost in stability. In fact, dental implant supported dentures have been described as being as close to having your real teeth, as you can get.
Beyond stability, dental implant support dentures are good for your overall health. Consider the following:
- Better Chewing and Tasting Capabilities:
- With dental implant supported dentures not only will you be able to chew anything you want you’ll be able to really taste food! Standard dentures fit with a seal to the roof of the mouth. Coincidentally, that’s where you have thousands of taste buds. If those are covered, your tasting capabilities are restricted.
- That same seal is critical for the chewing action of standard dentures. A broken seal leads to slipping dentures which in turn interferes with your ability to chew food. Some patients simply avoid foods they find difficult to chew and with little perceived taste.
- In nature, everything has a role, and the same is for chewing. When your teeth break and grind down food, your mouth begins to secrete saliva into the mixture. The enzymes in the saliva stimulate your digestive system to start absorbing the vital nutrients and minerals into your system. And when you can really chew food and taste it – you’ll be open to all different kinds of nutritional foods.
No Gum Irritation
- Sometimes wearing dentures isn’t easy. Because dentures rest directly on your gum tissue it’s easy to develop uncomfortable sore spots or inflammation. Dental implant support dentures are affixed to your gums with a titanium implant that is embedded into your jaw bone. These aren’t removable, and they don't shift.
Stimulation of Bone Growth
- As we age, we tend to suffer from some bone loss. As the bone begins to recede it leaves less support for standard dentures and getting a proper fit becomes difficult. One of the astonishing discoveries in dental implantology was the fact that the titanium used in implants actually helped stimulate bone growth avoiding what’s often been described as the sunken cheek or witches chin look.
There’s no age restriction for switching from dentures to dental implant supported dentures – it’s for those who want to be happier, healthier and have more confidence from having a great smile.